Friday, July 25, 2008

Why Am I Single?

Someone close to me asked me this yesterday so I decided to really think about it. Below is what I concluded:

Yeah, why is that?

Many of my friends tell me I'm the catch of the century. That's debatable but I guess when it comes to actual reasons I'll cover what I mentioned today.

1) I'm picky. Surprisingingly enough, I have very high standards for someone I would consider for a long-term relationship. I do have a bit of a list of my ideals. Wanna see?
Intelligent
Spiritual
Kind
Funny
Considerate (which also includes smelling good and having good etiquette and manners)
Good to the earth
Self-sufficient
Good to their friends, and to animals
Self-confident
Not a doormat, but not a control freak either
Non-smoker, non drug user, non-heavy drinker
Sex positive
Reader
Optimistic
Employed with stability (also includes their own place to live and a car)
No major unresolved trauma or diagnosable mental illness or psychotropics

Doesn't sound like that difficult a list but it is damn near impossible to find all those things.

2) I'm weird. Most people just don't 'get' me. I have a weird communication style and most people I meet think I'm not very interesting. I've never been great at small talk. I live in my head a lot. I'm bookish, political, spiritual, geeky and easily distracted by shiny objects. After all, I'm an angel that lost a bet. I don't really fit in with many people. I don't think of these qualities as undesirable, just sometimes lost on the general population- at least of this era.

So, long story short I may be picky, but a lot of picky people don't pick me.


3) I'm pretty cynical. I've been hurt- more than once- and I don't trust people. I trust myself but really no one else. It is much easier to connect for a while with a random woman here or there and if I don't have expectations, I don't worry about being disappointed. I still have needs for connection and sex, but I have trained myself to not have an expectation that anything will last. I just try to completely connect in the moment and I'm sure the future will take care of itself. I know I'll always have friends in my life anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home