Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a (Surprisingly) White Christmas

I had friends over again last night to enjoy a bit of holiday cheer. My first gathering was so much fun I thought I'd do another.

This time my roomie and I made a really yummy dinner and after dessert we settled in to watch Holiday Inn. I knew almost nothing about the film except that it was the first time the song White Christmas was sung in a movie. I love old movies and was looking forward to watching it and sharing with my friends.

Well Holy racism batman! Movies like this really make me realize how much times have changed! First there is an stereotypical Aunt Jemima type character named Maimey, complete with two silent children and no visible father. As if that were not bad enough, one of the big scenes in the movie was a tribute number to Abe Lincoln done in blackface! Blackface! Bing Crosby and a ton of other white people with black makeup drawling in 'yes massa' type diction! Horrors! And- I kid you not- the Maimey character sang this line in the song:

When black folks lived in slavery
Who was it set the darkie free?
Abraham, Abraham

Wow. We were sitting there transfixed and horrified, periodically yelling out our shock and dismay. I now see why this is not a movie that is replayed on TV- and why I have never seen it before. I think in the future I will stick with White Christmas, which was made a bit later and does not include a blackface number. Oh, and there was pretty rampant sexism in the movie too, but it was definitely overshadowed by the racist stereotypes. I guess I am glad I saw the movie, if for nothing else than to understand how far we have come. Now I excitedly wait for Jan. 20th to see the inauguration of our first black president. I wouldn't mind seeing a big musical number based on that, but hold the blackface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home