Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Into the Great Wide Open

My room-mate left on Sunday for a 6-month journey to hike the Appalachian Trail. I've found a great way to tell gay women from straight using this news. If I say this to a gay woman she says something like: "Wow! That sounds so exciting!" If I tell a straight woman she looks at me in horror and says "Oh my! That sounds so dangerous!"

I'm really proud of her, although looking at what passes for her tent makes me really concerned for her comfort. It's basically just a tarp with a couple of strings holding it up, which are connected to her hiking sticks. There is no bottom to this, although she says she has a ground cover. Now I like camping and I'm no wuss but I want something separating me from ants, snakes and rushing water in a rainstorm. My tent has a floor and I wouldn't find it acceptable if it did not.

I'm amazed at how organized she is. She had spreadsheets and estimates of average travel per day and has packed her food and supplies to cover the time until she reaches the next town and mail drop where her next package will be waiting. She has an amazing group of friends and they came for a party last weekend that she adorably named "The Trail Mixer". Everyone took a box she will need mailed at a certain time on her trip. Mine will go out on July 5th. The postage would be killer if she didn't have supportive people sending the packages to her. Spread out among 25 or so people it is an affordable gift for someone we care about.

My best wishes and prayers go out to her as she begins her journey of over 2000 miles. It boggles the mind that this quiet studious woman is walking from Georgia to Maine. She has an iron will. I know she will make it.

K's blog that will cover her hiking adventure is available here: http://kelarama.blogspot.com/.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home