Monday, February 04, 2008

New Beginnings

I planted my garden today.

I love tilling the soil, mixing in compost, pulling the weeds and tossing out rocks. Every year the ground gets just a little bit better. Today I put in broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, onions, and two kinds of lettace. My best day of gardening is the day I plant. The ground is pristine and the seeds hold endless promise. I can forget that there are pests, or it doesn't rain or crops die or don't produce well. Today faith as tiny as a lettace seed can foretell incredible bounty.

Such is my life. I remember the best, renewing my optimism at every season and wipe the slate clean. I may remember the things that don't work at all, like the sweet but prickly blackberries that never seem to take root, but every year gets better. Every year I have hope. And I know if I keep putting my hope and my care and my attention into it. I will have a great harvest. And if the goddess has other plans? There's always next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home