Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Hills Are Alive With the Sound of... Strippers?

Today is my birthday. Overall it was better than many I've had in the past. Usually most people are out of town for my birthday and planning a party is a pretty big disappointment. I know it shouldn't bother me- my whole life I've had to deal with everyone being out of school and out of town for my birthday but it really was a treat to gather a dozen or so of my friends for a swell party today.

I also have a thing about not wanting to plan parties for myself (at least not my birthday). Luckily my friend Janet offered to throw me a party and it really was the best I can remember. There was prime rib, potatoes with rosemary and this killer Gorgonzola cream sauce, asparagus, broccoli and made-from-scratch yeast rolls. There was also tons of Champagne for mimosas. Even the mimosa juices were more uptown than I typically see. They were these three yummy nectars of mango, passion fruit and apricot. Needless to say most attending got delightfully buzzed and my disparate group of friends got on swimmingly. Everyone got together to toast me and sing Happy Birthday, which embarrassed me to no end. Strangely enough, for as social as I am I absolutely hate when the attention of more than a couple of people is trained on me at once. With 12 or so people made me want to crawl into a corner and disappear. I think in those moments I go inside my head and wait for it to be over, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. Anyway, beyond a few tense moments being the center of attention I had a fantastic time.

When the party ended my lovely hostess and a couple other party goers tried to convince me to go to a strip club with them. Now I have in the past been tempted by such things but today it held little appeal. I instead knew how I wanted to spend my evening. Tonight The Sound of Music was playing on TV. I completely love that movie. There are at least four places where it makes me cry and the whole thing is just enchanting. My roomie discovered I had it on and was thrilled. She told me stories of how she loved it as a kid and teen and how she had a huge crush on Julie Andrews in the movie. I can see her appeal: short hair, cute as a button, sings great, total romantic, confused nun... mmm, dreamy. Conversely I have on occasion pictured myself as Captain Von Trapp. How WOULD I solve a problem like Maria?

So, if turning a certain age today inspires me to choose The Sound of Music over the lure of the Lap Dance so be it. I think I'm OK right where I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home