Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent is Coming...

As I consider this Shrove Tuesday I am pondering what to give up for Lent this year. I know that Lent is not really a part of my culture but I started observing it when I converted to the Episcopal church in college. I'm now a happy Methodist but my church still does the Ash Wednesday service and does seem to peripherally observe Lent. I like the concept of a time of sacrifice to keep us mindful of our spirituality.

I thought about giving up excess in general but that is already covered in my New Year's resolution.

I considered giving up alcohol but that doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice since I don't drink enough to matter. Dropping two glasses of wine in a typical week is pretty paltry as sacrifice goes.

I don't have a lot of vices. I don't gamble, drug, smoke, etc.

I toyed with the idea of giving up Television. Not a huge sacrifice but it might be significant enough to keep me mindful.

I've given up red meat before. As a good native Texan that is a sacrifice that could indeed keep spirituality in my thoughts.

Hmm, TV? Meat? TV? Meat?

Meat it is. I figure it is best for my overall health. I think Fat Tuesday will be celebrated with a steak tonight.

I'll try not to be grumpy between tomorrow and Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home