Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dating Adventure

I went on my first date in a while last night. I enjoyed how it didn't progress the typical way so it did make for kind of a good story.

She called me as I was about to leave to meet her at Enoteca and told me her car would not start and she was at work downtown. I suggested I pick her up and we go to dinner and try to start her car afterward. That was acceptable and I picked her up at Dog and Duck Pub by her office. We then had a very nice dinner, did a little browsing in the local shops while we waited for a table, had a nice wine, both enjoyed some very yummy food and good conversation.

Afterward I stopped at the cupcake trailor and we got a couple of cupcakes for later.
Then the fun began.

No, not that kind of fun.

I went back to her office to try to start her car. It was pretty obvious it was a battery issue. My date was a true high femme and was not only clueless about cars but also somewhat freaked out about the idea of jumper cables and the danger that might be involved. I had a tough time convincing her to hold one end of the cables while I attached the other end to the affected car. The other weird thing? My car battery is in the back of my car, under the floorboard by the spare tire. I attempted to jump from there- after taking all the flooring out of the back of my car- and no luck. I then consulted my car manual. Yes, being somewhat like a guy, I typically don't read directions before I attempt to do something I've done before. I then found out that the post for jumping the car are still under the hood of my car, even though the battery is in the back. I then took everything apart and tried again. Still her car would not take a jump. Now also remember I'm in a nice dress shirt and my date is in a skirt and heels and we are poking around under the hood of cars. I unhook everything and then suggest we clean the battery terminals on her car and also fill the battery with water. I try both these things, assisted by my date who gets me water and paper towels out of her office. So, battery has water, terminals are clean and dry, try again... nada. The car inside lights and radio, etc. definitely get better when the cables are connected but it is still not enough to start the car. I finally give up and offer to drive her home and let her deal with the next steps on her own, which probably involve buying a new battery. I then drive her home and drop her off at her door.

The verdict? Amusing adventure on a first official date. As for my date herself? A sweet person and very attractive. As for my feelings? Meh. She doesn't turn my crank.

I guess I shouln't expect to find anything amazing anytime soon and dating in itself is a fun activity but when I date and don't feel anything I start to worry that I will be that way for a while. I don't fall easily so I guess I will kick back and see how long this dry spell will last...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home